Duke Faculty Club

DFC History

The Duke Faculty Club is a private swim, tennis, and fitness facility for all full-time employees of Duke University and the Duke University Health System. We are surrounded by the rugged and scenic trails of Duke Forest and the immaculate greens of the Washington Duke Hotel and Duke University Golf Club.

The Duke Faculty Club origins date to the formation of the Faculty Club of Trinity College in 1918 with 15 members. Through the years, the growth of the Duke community created a need for permanent recreational facilities. In 1967, the dreams of many members came true when plans were made to build a permanent facility located within Duke Forest on acreage immediately adjoining, but fully secluded from, the Duke Golf Course.

Construction of the DFC's new home was completed in April 1971. The facilities included a clubhouse with men's and women's locker rooms, swimming and tennis facilities, and a snack bar. Since that time, the DFC has expanded its facilities and offerings to include a lap pool, picnic shelter, playground, outdoor basketball courts, fitness center, summer camps, and a two story activities building to support its many programs.

The original campus served the club well for the past 40+ years, but membership and programmatic growth mandated the next generation of facility upgrades. Be sure to check out all the wonderful updates and changes on the 2013/14 Capital Improvement Project page if you have not already.

Offering year round social and recreational opportunities, the Duke Faculty Club is the perfect spot for the entire family. Become a Member today!